This tutorial aims to provide an evidence-based practical guide for instrumental delivery. Interactive quizzes, case scenarios and videos are used throughout the resource to demonstrate best practice.
The tutorial has been developed for ST1–3 O&G trainees but may be relevant to other practitioners including maternity healthcare professionals involved in operative vaginal delivery during their basic training.
It is divided into 9 sections – each section can be accessed by clicking on the menu on the left-hand side.
Two CPD credits can be claimed in the personal/professional category under eLearning for completing this tutorial.
When you have completed this tutorial you will be able to:
- describe the history and background of operative vaginal delivery
- identify the indications and criteria for instrumental delivery
- assess a patient for operative vaginal delivery and obtain valid consent
- choose the most appropriate type of instrument for operative vaginal delivery
- describe how to perform operative vaginal delivery
- recognise the complications of operative vaginal delivery.
Last updated May 2016.